As I was researching various questions about Mormonism, a few of the authors I was reading recommended the research of the late Jerald and his wife Sandra Tanner. Upon checking out their website I found a wealth of helpful information and their story, which is as follows:
"Jerald and Sandra Tanner were raised in the LDS faith, both with a strong Mormon family history. Jerald is the great-great-grandson of John Tanner, well known for his sizable financial contributions to Joseph Smith and the LDS church in 1835 when the church was deeply in debt. Sandra Tanner is a great-great-granddaughter of Brigham Young, the second president of the Mormon Church. As teenagers, before they met, Jerald and Sandra were challenged by different people and events to examine the origins of Mormonism. Soon after their introduction, they jointly began researching Mormonism and became engaged. Both accepted Christ during these early years of study and have left the Mormon church. They are both active members of a local Christian church in Salt Lake City.
The Tanners are authors of over forty books on the subject of Mormonism. They are well known for their extensive research into Mormon history and doctrine. Utah Lighthouse Ministry provides these books and research, as well as photocopies and reprints of original Mormon documents to the public."
Their website boasts numerous resources such as FAQS, Topical Index, Testimony, Newsletters, Online Resources, Book list, and links!
In this post I want to highlight their free e-books dealing with Mormonism and it's various doctrines.
- Curse of Cain? Racism in the Mormon Church by Jerald and Sandra Tanner
- Tracking the White Salamander: The Story of Mark Hofmann, Murder, and Forged Mormon Documents by Jerald Tanner
- Mormon Claims Answered by Marvin Cowan
- Hoth Diary- This important and moving diary gives a candid first person view of early America and Mormon migrations to Utah by Mr. Hans Peter Emanuel Hoth from Schleswig, Germany. Written in 1853-1857.
- An Address to Believers in the Book of Mormon by David Whitmer
Be sure to check out the Tanners' website, Utah Lighthouse Ministry.
Their ministry will be added to our Apologetics Arsenal located here.
We will also add their e-books to our Free E-book Apologetics Library located here.
Courage and Godspeed,