Is Judgment Day May 21, 2011? A Response to Harold Camping's Prediction by Charlie Campbell


During an apologetics conference I attended this past weekend, a few of the speakers made reference to a gentlemen who was predicting that Jesus Christ was returning to earth on May 21st, 2011. Honestly, I didn't give the matter much thought until a friend recalled the date when I told him I was preaching at our local church on May 22nd, 2011. I jokingly told him that I wouldn't need to prepare and thought nothing more of it.

Then this evening, as I was driving to my Mom's house for a visit, I actually drove by a sign that looked something like the one pictured here informing drivers that "Judgment Day is coming May 21, 2001."

After doing a little research I found out that the gentlemen making this prediction is named Harold Camping and he apparently made the same type of prediction in 1994! Needless to say, he was wrong.

Charlie Campbell of Always Be Ready Ministries has written a response to Camping and his followers that can be found here.

As for me, I would only like to highlight the fact that it was Jesus who said:



  • "Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming." (Matthew 24:42)


  • "Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." (Matthew 24:44)
And, as if that wasn't enough, He also said, in regard to His coming:



  • "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." (Matthew 24:36)
I'm fairly sure that the Father hasn't let Harold Camping in on the date...I think I'll go ahead and prepare my sermon.

Courage and Godspeed,

Chad

*Scriptures taken from the English Standard Version

Comments

Anonymous said…
One should be prepared to meet your God regardless of the date. John MacArthur alreay wrote something branding this guy as a heretic.