A Heart's Prayer


In the prologue to Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus, Nabeel Qureshi shares his desire to know who God is.  Below is part of the prayer he recites:

"Please, God Almighty, tell me who You are!  I beseech You and only You.  Only You can rescue me.  At your feet, I lay down everything I have learned, and give my entire life to You.  Take away what You will, be it my joy, my friends, my family, or even my life.  But let me have You, O God.

Light the path that I must walk.  I don't care how many hurdles are in the way, how many pits I must jump over or climb out of, or how many thorns I must step through.  Guide me on the right path.  If it is Islam, show me how it is true!  If it is Christianity, give me eyes to see!  Just show me which path is Yours, dear God, so I can walk it."1

I find this prayer very moving as it reveals the author's heart to truly know who God is despite what it might cost him.  It also reminds me to ask myself what are my intentions when it comes to being a Christian?  Is it for the experience?  Is it to have the right worldview compared to many others?  Is it to avoid being condemned to hell?

While these questions are worth considering, I believe there is a more important question.  Do I truly believe in who Jesus is and that he came to "give life and give it abundantly" as mentioned in John 10:10.  If I do, am I living this out accordingly?  Is it apparent in my marriage, as a father, in my daily interactions with my co-workers and others who may cross my path?  I find this question to be helpful in reminding me of my purpose to share the truth of the Gospel message.

You can find the latest Nabeel Qureshi videos by going here.  Please continue to pray for him and his family as he perseveres through his illness.

God Bless,


Footnote:
1. Seeking Allah Finding Jesus p. 26

Comments